Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Motivation


As much as I complain about grad school on a daily basis, I must think deep down that it's going to be worth it in the end.  

Otherwise I'm an idiot for torturing myself for no reason.  


I hope you're right Mr. Hinckley


I keep telling myself that all the weekends spent in the lab, holidays missed, and nights spent awake worrying about various projects will soon be over.  If I don't completely fall off the deep end before next summer, I'll leave New Orleans with a PhD and an immense feeling of accomplishment.  I have no idea what I'll be doing after I graduate, but I think that after 5 years of the highs and lows of grad school I can probably handle anything life throws at me.  Hopefully doors will open for me that I can't even imagine right now.  Even if I end up doing something completely unrelated to science, this experience has taught me that if you're dedicated enough (or ridiculously stubborn) you can do anything.  Even something that seems impossible, which is what finishing my PhD felt like last year.  So much so that I came very close to quitting countless times (just ask Jeff).  Now that I only have a year left, give or take, finishing my degree seems more manageable.  And I'm so glad I stuck it out.

Although if you ask me next week I may tell you differently.

Sometimes all I can think about is how life will be so much better once I finish grad school and Jeff is done with his residency and fellowship.  I tend to write off the day to day things I should be grateful for because of all the hardships we experience as full time "students."  It's difficult to live in the moment and not wish that things could fast forward a little.

I just need to try to take one step at a time and be patient.  And it helps that Jeff turned in his rank list for Fellowship yesterday!  One more step towards the next chapter in our lives.  In less than 3 weeks we'll know where (or if?!) he matches!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?