Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Time for a change


With summer well underway and shorts and flip flops a part of my daily wardrobe, I can no longer ignore the fact that I've been a little lax on the healthy eating front lately.  Ok...a lot lax.  It's easy to do in New Orleans.  Even someone with an insane amount of willpower would have trouble resisting the lure of delicious treats on every Nola corner.  And insane willpower I have not.

So with my pre-wedding clothes fitting a little tighter and our bank account suffering from our frequent restaurant visits, I knew it was time for an extreme makeover, food edition.

I decided I really wanted to start eating better, not to be on a "diet" but just to focus on putting healthier foods into my body.  When Jeff is home, it's hard to eat healthy while also finding something to cook for dinner that he likes to eat and that's filling enough for him after a long day of fasting at the hospital.  With Jeff now living in Baton Rouge on week nights I had the opportunity about a week ago to do a complete grocery list overhaul.

Here's some of my swag:




I've been sticking to these foods for a week now and I already feel so much better.  AND by eating mostly whole foods at every meal I didn't feel so guilty when the hubs and I went for a Sunday night froyo run.

Although I have come up with a pretty good froyo substitute:


Nonfat Greek yogurt w/ frozen berries


I introduced Jeff to Lentil Quinoa Salad this past Friday night in an effort to get him to jump on the bandwagon:






He hates beans so I told him lentils were a grain.  Still couldn't fool him.  He wasn't a fan.  Guess you can't win em all.

I've been trying to make healthier decisions for breakfast and lunch as well.  I had gotten into the habit of bringing a Lean Cuisine for lunch everyday out of convenience.  Have you ever looked at the sodium content on a Lean Cuisine?  It's a lot...


Easy quick breakfast- apples and nonfat cottage cheese


Veggie sandwich- better than a Lean Cuisine!

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit.  It's only been a week, but so far it's been pretty easy as all these foods are filling and don't leave me feeling deprived.  I'm going to start sharing some of the recipes I've tried on a new "Recipes" tab on this blog.  

And I'd love for you to share some of your healthy recipes with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?