Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Photo Dump and Hurricanes


Looks like today is my lucky day!  My Blogger iPhone app decided to work and let me upload pictures from my phone.  So lucky YOU- you get to see all the random pictures from our lives the past couple of weeks!

There have been lots of baseball games...


Zephyrs game





And birthday parties for cute babies at baseball games...

        
 

  


How cute is this setup?!

Oh, and did I mention there was a hurricane?

Hurricane Isaac completely screwed up my plans in the lab last week so this week will be a mad dash to do twice as much work in half the amount of time.  Unexpectedly, Jeff was able to stay home with me the ENTIRE week.  A week!  That we had off together!  At the same time!!!  It was a miracle.  Since he's on an elective rotation he got lucky and didn't have to cover at the hospital during the storm.  So we both drove to my mom's house a little north of New Orleans to wait out the storm.  We went a little a lot stir crazy sitting around doing not much of anything (Jeff did continue to study every day like normal though). 

Somehow we got lucky and never lost electricity.  Which is astounding in my opinion since almost all of New Orleans and the surrounding area lost power for at least a day or two.  Have you ever had to go without air conditioning in 100 degree August heat with 100% humidity?  Let's just say, it's not fun.

So while we had electricity, cable, etc. there was still nothing to do because everything in town was closed (and obviously storming outside).  So we ate.  Like, the whole weekend nonstop.  I probably gained 5 lbs.  Whatever.  The night before the storm hit my mom and I went out to eat because we figured it might be our last chance to get out of the house for a few days at least.  We were in luck because the restaurant was trying to get rid of as much food as possible before it all went bad if they lost power.  So they had this special pasta- Hurricane Pasta to be exact.  Softshell crab, crawfish, shrimp, scallops, and mussels all in one delicious dish:


It was a beautiful thing.

We made it back to our little apartment in Nola this past Friday morning and all was well.  We actually never lost power there either- apparently our street all had power throughout the storm.  Another miracle!  Unlike the rest of Nola.  I actually felt a little guilty...I mean, we had a surplus of air conditioned houses to stay in!  Meanwhile, everyone else was tossing and turning at night in sweltering heat.  If that doesn't make you go out and immediately buy a generator I don't know what will.

We ended our week off together with spending our Labor Day in the French Quarter playing tourists.  And the final miracle of hurricane week?  The French Quarter was EMPTY!  It was like we had the whole of New Orleans to ourselves for one afternoon.  Pretty darn good.


Having beignets at Cafe du Monde

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE Medical Monday Bloghop! So great to find your blog! I am completely perplexed at how you two have any time to see each other! Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you! I unfortunately think we've gotten used to spending so much time apart. Keeping busy helps take my mind off of it!

      Delete
  2. I must add eating beignets in New Orleans to my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! You can get it here: http://www.justanotherdoctorswife.com/2012/09/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I am going to pass this along as soon as I can get some time to sit down and write about it :)

      Delete

What do you think?