Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

On a roll

I'm officially NOT a one hit wonder!

I just got word that my 2nd first author paper was accepted for publication!  BAM.

I'll be in and out of the lab tomorrow for Thanksgiving, Friday, and all weekend.  It sucks, but at least I'll be riding this manuscript acceptance high for a few days.  Makes me feel like all this hard work actually pays off every now and then.

It is hard though seeing everyone post on Facebook about going home and how much they "really needed" this break, when I have to be on campus every freaking day testing rats in a maze and doing drug infusions into their brains.  Fun.

I know I'm not the only one.  I have first hand experience being married to a doctor, after all...Jeff is taking call for Thanksgiving so it's not like I'm missing out on too much.  And I know lots of other people have to work holidays.  Cops, the military, poor sales people who get tricked into working Black Friday.  That last one might get the shortest stick of them all.  Only kidding, sort of ;)

It really irks me though when I hear people complain about how hard they work at their 9-5, M-F jobs.  I know it's all relative, and to them it probably does seem difficult.  There are annoying, frustrating aspects to every job.  But come on, people.  Many of you have every weekend off, guaranteed.  And you can choose to take your vacation days whenever your heart desires.  You can even call in sick in the morning if you feel like it!  So far I've been able to keep my mouth shut, to their faces at least.  But behind their backs, Jeff and I sometimes can't help rolling our eyes a bit.  We're the ones who really need time off for the holidays- the people who don't clock out just because it's 5:00 on a Friday.

I never expected grad school to be easy, but I also never thought I'd be giving up quite as many holidays and weekends as I have in the past 4 1/2 years.  I mean, that's why I never wanted to go to med school!  I sure wasn't about to sign my life away.  I've always heard that nothing worth doing is easy.  I don't know if that's true, but I know that getting a PhD has definitely not been easy.  I just hope it turns out that it was worth doing.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the new blog header! I am with you in your assessment of nothing worth doing is easy. It has to be true:-)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?