Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Nola Musings


It's all gloom and doom today here in Nola. I'm sitting in lab not getting much writing done for my dissertation because weather like this always makes me sleepy. The hot tea I got from PJ's downstairs in the hopes it would wake me up is having the opposite effect.



View out lab window at 11am,
complete with overhead light reflection

But even with the not uncommon flash floods we experience down here every time it rains for more than 30 minutes, I'm gonna miss this place, quirks and all.


For example, it's officially MARDI GRAS SEASON!  And that means KING CAKE!  I got one the day after they started going on sale this year.  There are many different types of King Cake, with various amounts of icing and/or colored sugar on top.  Some are "traditional" which means the bread/pastry underneath is the typical cinnamon sugar flavor.  But oh no, that is not enough sugar for me I tell you!  I'm partial to the cream cheese filled kind.  Go big or go home, right?  I debated for about a day and a half whether or not to buy one.  I mean, it is just me and Jeff at the house.  And with Jeff not too partial to sweets I knew I would end up eating the majority of the thing myself.  



As you can see, I caved.


Bakeries used to hide the little plastic baby inside the cakes, but now everyone's lame and worried about being sued by someone dumb enough to swallow the thing.  So now they just set it inside the box...if you bring one to work, school, a party, etc you're supposed to shove it inside the cake from underneath.  Then, whoever gets the piece with the baby inside has to bring the next King Cake.  But perhaps the best part?  King Cakes are not a dessert.  A true local knows you eat King Cake any time of day you darn well please.  Especially for breakfast with your coffee.  Are you craving a King Cake now?  Lucky for all you non-Louisianians, some bakeries will ship one to you:



Food, definitely something we've got down.  Traffic flow...not so much:


What does this even mean?


As I finish writing this post, the rain has started to pour.

Nola, I love you, quirks and all.  I just hope my car isn't flooded.






6 comments:

  1. There are so many things about the south I never knew about. Mardi Gras, King Cake, all like a foreign country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know any different! New Orleans is one of a kind though, even in the south ;)

      Delete
  2. I love King Cake. So fun how so many places have their own "things" like Mardi Gras and King Cake for Nola. I have always wanted to visit Nola - hopefully at some point in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come for Mardi Gras one year!

      Delete
  3. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to spend $50 to ship a king cake up here. I'm kind of thinking it might be... I'm just not sure if my husband would agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Rouses will also ship them and may be cheaper.

      Delete

What do you think?