Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Medical Mondays- Superbowl!

Happy Medical Monday!

If you haven't visited my blog before, this is where I talk/whine about the ups and downs of residency and graduate school life.  Welcome!  Jeff is a 5th year Orthopaedic surgery resident, and I'm a 5th year Neuroscience PhD student.  We live in New Orleans and absolutely LOVE it!  We're sad to be moving this summer after we both graduate, but are excited for what's next.

Speaking of New Orleans, the city just hosted a little thing called the Superbowl this past weekend.  No big deal, right?!  It's great to be a 5th year and have most weekends off!

You would think with the busy life Jeff leads that he would want to relax on his days off, right?  Whenever I have a crazy week, I want nothing more than to become one with a Netflix, a glass of wine, and my couch all weekend.  But Jeff is the complete opposite- he wants to go, go, GO on his days off.

So, we made the trek down to the French Quarter on Saturday to see the sights.  It was no small feat considering most streets were pedestrian only for the weekend.  It was wonderful to see so many out of town fans enjoying the city as much as we do, even if they weren't wearing Saints jerseys ;)

Jeff in front of the Superdome


The park along the riverfront was lined with food tents, stages featuring local musicians, and various activities hosted by Superbowl sponsors.  We ambled into the French Quarter and watched street performers painted all in silver posing as statues and amazing guitarists and violinists playing for tips on the corners (a la the HBO show Treme).  This is what I love about New Orleans!  Every day is a festival down here, and I couldn't help but wonder what these Baltimoreans must think.  I had a feeling the San Fran fans were a little more used to these types of "eccentricities."





So congrats to all you Ravens fans out there!  

But, Who Dat?!!  There's always next year!



15 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! That looks like so much fun... even if you don't have tickets! Thanks for linking up with us for Med Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being a regular at Medical Mondays, it's always fun to catch up with everyone on the same day:-) I am more like you, when I have time I want to be home.... and my husband is much the same, so we don't get out much. But for something like Super Bowl weekend, even we might make an exception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he has to drag me out the house sometimes. But I was glad we went!

      Delete
  3. I've never been in a city that hosted the Superbowl, but I bet it would be so much fun. Was there any rioting afterwards that you got to witness? Good to see you on MM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't hear anything about any rioting- does that usually happen?! Everyone I saw was in a great mood ;)

      Delete
  4. New Orleans sounds like fun! It is one of our top choices for residency, so I am excited to explore your blog! Excited to be a new follower via Medical Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you! Would love to fill you in on any Nola-related questions ;)

      Delete
  5. Fun! I have never been to NO. My cousin is a tour manager so she frequently attends the super bowl. One of her bands played for a few parties, one of the perks is super bowl tickets. She loves NO. AAOS is supposed to be in NO in 2014, so maybe we'll go. Hope 5th year is going well for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow what a great perk to have! I didn't know about AAOS being in Nola in 2014! I'm sure we will go then- it will be Fellowship year and we'll only be up the road in Jackson.

      Delete
    2. It will be Vegas in 2015. I'm scared for that one! A bunch of orthopods loose in Vegas!!! :-)

      Delete
  6. Us Baltimoreans LOVE NOLA!! Seriously I have never been BUT everyone who I knew that went down for Superbowl from Bmore which was nothing short of a small state of people absolutely loved it. And the fact that we won was just unreal for the fans. I lived vicariously through my social media all last weekend!! What a fun place to call home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear people had a great time down here!

      Delete
  7. Good morning!! I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check it out...http://www.livingrunningcooking.com/2013/02/my-first-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm honored! Thanks so much, I'll be sure to check it out :)

      Delete

What do you think?