Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Crunch time


I had hopes of getting a new, medical-related post written in time for Medical Mondays yesterday...but it just didn't happen. 

It's crunch time for me when it comes to dissertation writing.  I turned in a semi-final draft of everything except my last section to my boss yesterday for her to look over and make final corrections.  Now I "just" have the last, dreaded section to write.  The Discussion section.  Aka the "what does it all mean?" section.  As if it wasn't hard enough to actually DO the experiments, you mean now I have to explain what it means??  Shit if I know.  Yay science!

I set a date for my dissertation defense- April 5th.  Every day until that day is going to be a nervous march towards what I fear will be the most anxiety-ridden day of my life.  Just this past Saturday, we had our yearly Neuroscience retreat where every student gives a quick 10 min talk about their latest research.  I guess it's sort of a show-off day, and Tulane uses it as a recruitment tool for prospective PhD applicants.  I was literally shaking for the hours leading up to my turn to talk.  I can only imagine my defense will be a hundred times worse since I will actually have to "defend" why I did certain things and have mastered knowledge of every research publication that remotely pertains to my experiments.  It's times like this I wish Jeff wouldn't be such a stick in the mud and would prescribe me some damn Xanax.

Speaking of Jeff, the past couple of weeks have seemed pretty rough for him as well.  He's just come off of two weekends straight of being on call.  It's been like two ships passing in the night at our house. 

I'll leave you with a picture from several weeks ago when me, Jeff, and my Dad went and got some raw oysters at one of John Besh's restaurants here in Nola.  I finally tried my first raw oyster after spending my entire life watching my Dad slurp down dozens of them every oyster season.  Not bad, but I don't think I'll be getting my own tray anytime soon ;)




10 comments:

  1. You will do great!! Good luck the next few weeks in your final preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck girl! You'll do great! You're almost done & I know deep down you'll miss your rats... You know you've named them ;) hehe

    Oh I know this seems like light years ago but do you recall before your husband got into residency- on his 4th year of med school did he do any audition rotations? If so how many did he do? We are at that point now.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maybe one day I'll miss the rats, but I don't see that happening for a long, LONG time! ;) Another grad student in my lab named one of his rats "Sir Bites A Lot" for obvious reasons :)

      Jeff did 2 away/audition rotations his 4th year, both for Ortho- one in Dallas and one in Gainesville, FL. It was a blur! Good luck figuring it out!

      Delete
  3. I can't do raw oysters! I have a thing for texture and slimy isn't one I like. Best of luck getting through your dissertation. If you are interested in an herbal alternative look into CalmEz or Calm-ease. A friend of mine suggested it to me when I was really nervous about a presentation at work, I tried it and it seemed to calm my nerves. Probably where it's name came from, and it doesn't require a prescription.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into it.

      Delete
  4. You'll do great, maybe just brainstorm possible questions from left field they could ask you and go over the answers? Does this mean you'll be able to put the PHD after your name soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm hoping to have a week to just practice my presentation and make sure I know my stuff! And yes, I'll have PhD after my name, but people only really use it in academic settings.

      Delete
  5. Good luck! You can do it. Rooting for you :) Ugh...I can't stand oysters but the hubby loves them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The oyster was much better than I thought it would be, but won't be craving them anytime soon :)

      Delete

What do you think?