Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

NEW YORK CITY, PT. 1

Another joy of residency- Jeff's board review course was scheduled over the weekend of my birthday.  Going with him wouldn't have been much fun because the course was scheduled from 7am-7 or 8pm every day.  Lame.  But, I wasn't about to sit at home on the big day after finally finishing grad school, so I packed my bags and headed to NYC for a long weekend.  

My friend Brittany from college was my lovely host and tour guide for the weekend.  It's wasn't my first rodeo in New York, so I wanted to spend the weekend doing things a little off the beaten path.  The title of this post says New York City, but I spent my first full day there trekking around Brooklyn.






After exploring some cute neighborhoods, we made our way to the Brooklyn flea market, which is apparently a big deal.  So.Many.Hipsters. though.  




And these doughnuts...this cafe de lait flavor!  Oh my.  A little bit of Big Easy in the Big Apple.  They probably don't even know cafe de lait is a Nola thing.  I'm claiming it.




After the flea market, we stopped by this cute coffee shop that had COFFEE ICE CUBES.  Come on now.  So when they melt, your iced coffee doesn't get all watery.  Genius.  I will even forgive them for not having Splenda.  Apparently the only hipster way to drink your coffee is black.







And Jane's Carousel out on a pier was beautiful.




Here it is like a magical fairytale island during Hurricane Sandy-


Source



I loved Brooklyn.  Much more my speed compared to the craziness of Manhattan.  But after a long day (some 6+ hrs) of walking...I had one more thing on my Brooklyn to do list...walk across the bridge back to the city...


8 comments:

  1. BK = Hipster Central! ha. One of my favorite activities when its nice out is to walk across the bridge from Manhattan to BK and get pizza at the famous Grimaldi's on the other side. Sounds like you had a good day in BK! Cant wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we passed by Grimaldi's! There was a line out the door.

      Delete
  2. Food:-) That is what I always look forward to when I travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Pretty much all I plan is where I want to go eat :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome back to the East Coast! Happy belated birthday! (did I miss a blog post??) The last time I was in NYC or Brooklyn the hipster craze hadn't started yet, however we get quite a few of them in my area these days. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...I didn't blog about my birthday since I was out of town...you didn't miss anything!

      Delete
  4. Happy belated birthday!! Looks like you had an amazing trip. I am not normally a doughnut person... but that one looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?