Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Medical Mondays- The REAL Job Interview

Happy Medical Mondays to everyone who is visiting from the linkup today!

I can't believe I'm going to have to change my blog byline in a matter of weeks.  I'm not technically a grad student anymore since I defended my PhD in early April.  I figure I can get away with it a little longer though because I don't start my new position til August.  As for the resident part, my husband will be finished by the end of June.  Can I get an Amen!?  "Tales of Life as a Fellow and a Post-Doc" just doesn't have the same ring to it.  As many of you know, nothing is permanent when you're married to a doctor.  I'll be changing our description again after only 1 short year!

Speaking of after Fellowship, a real job is just around the corner.  We've been combing through job postings for a few months now and trying to figure out where we want to land after all of this training is over.  It's not an easy task.  If you don't have a specific city in mind, how do you narrow things down?   Trying to find something in a town that also has a college (so I would have job opportunities) does immediately throw out about half of the listings, so that helps.  Of course we'd love to come back to New Orleans, but I'm not holding my breath. I just don't want to let myself get my hopes up only to be disappointed. It's strange that for the first time in our adult lives we'll move somewhere that WE choose, not somewhere we were told to go by a computer match program.  That in and of itself is a very exciting thing.

Unlike in med school where students find out where they're moving for residency only a few months before starting, orthopaedic residents match for a fellowship over a year before residency ends.  Similarly, the job hunt for many Ortho residents begins before they even start their fellowship, or soon after fellowship begins.  Since contract negotiations can take months and licensing and credentialing can take half a year, we need to start thinking now about where we want to end up after fellowship.

So, drumroll please, Jeff has his first REAL job interview next weekend!  We'll call it Job #1 since, duh, it's the first place we're interviewing.  Hopefully in the near future we'll have many more to compare.  And yes, I did say we're interviewing.  It seems to be understood that significant others tag along on these interview trips.  These people are smart- they know they need to woo the wife if they have any chance of Jeff seriously considering the position ;)  What we like:  Job #1 is in the south, near a beach, and somewhat close to our families.  What we don't like:  It would be about 45 min - 1 hr commute if I wanted to teach at the nearest college.  Hopefully we will both gain clarity after spending a couple of days there and will have a better idea if this is somewhere we could see ourselves living and working.

So here's to the beginning of the next stage in our lives- dipping our toes, so to speak, into the pool that is a real job after fellowship!  I hope the water's warm...and that there aren't any sharks.



22 comments:

  1. Good luck! The job hunt and signing the contract was super stressful. If you can help it, try to have a contract signed not too long into fellowship. Having to manage fellowship responsibilities and trying to interview can be stressful. In addition, there are a lot of hardware courses since you are trying to decide which hardware to use. And licensing and credentialing takes forever. The other fellow didn't really interview until the winter and didn't sign until early spring. Very stressful times as the fellowship clock is ticking away. Make sure he takes copies of OR preference cards that he likes with him so that he won't have to ask for them later. Exciting times! Hope you will find the job where you will both be equally happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY to the first real job interview! Can you believe its finally happening? I look forward to following your interview adventures and seeing where you guys end up. And what an exciting thing after all of these years to get to change the tagline of your blog. That means only good things for the both of you - so happy for you guys.

    As for my hubby's specialty, I was surprised at first to learn how much he enjoyed spine surgery. I thought for sure he would be a sports guy. But it will be interesting to see what direction he takes. I think he is fascinated by the depth of the surgeries. It's exciting to watch him at this stage as he decides what really interests him about ortho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he has an easier time picking a specialty than my husband did! He liked 2-3 different specialties equally so it was a hard decision.

      Delete
  3. THanks for linking up today! Congratulations on the interview, the fun is just beginning. And it is OK to hope for a specific place, you never know you might end up there and its fun to have hope and anticipation. This next year I have a feeling will be filled with both of those. Can't wait to hear about the job prospects and locations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will definitely be looking to everyone for advice in the coming year!

      Delete
  4. Coming from the Medical Monday link up! Finding a place to settle is so fun! We knew we wanted to be back closer to family so that helped us narrow down where to go. I just posted today about spouses getting recruited too and I think it's a great idea, wish I had that! My DrH interviewed during the beginning of his last year of fellowship and so glad he did because you definitely need lots of time, especially if heading to a different state. Wishing you both good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to settle near family, I'm just not sure if that will be in the cards for us. I enjoyed your post today!

      Delete
  5. Amen! I really like "The Tales of the Witty Doctors" Such a nice ring to it. And definitely go for the beach girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I might steal that byline! Thanks Elle ;)

      Delete
  6. I smile at the adventure of moving to a new town! Exciting! Good luck with the job interview!!
    Thanks for linking up and sharing your great news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little exciting :) Always love linking up for MM!

      Delete
  7. Congrats and good luck! What an exciting time in your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting! I'll be interested to see the process you go through- we are still far away from that point. I've found in the past with major decisions that things that are meant to be become very clear- as if we are being guided toward them. Hope it's the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- things have always worked out for us, yet I still can't help but worry!

      Delete
  9. Good luck with the interviews! Super exciting looking for a real job - much better process than those fellowship interviews! Great seeing you on MM again! Enjoying following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm just excited that I get to go along this time.

      Delete
  10. Wow you have some exciting things ahead of you!! And you are right about the every changing job of a med student/resident/fellow/etc. Good luck and I can't wait to find out where you are going to end up. I went to school in New Orleans and definitely understand you wanting to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool that you went to school in Nola! It's definitely stolen my heart :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for linking up with Medical Monday!! It sounds like you have some huge decisions to make soon, but it's also amazing that you'll both be ready for full fledged jobs at the same time! I really hope you guys find the perfect locale for both of you. Moving is a pain, but this time it's for real!! Ahh so excited for you!

    Much love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving is the worst, but I guess it's not quite as painful this time since I know we're getting towards the end!

      Delete

What do you think?