Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

My Martha Stewart Weekend

Something about the perfect fall weather we had this past weekend put me in the mood to finally try a few things that have been on my Pinterest to-do list.  First up were these 2-ingredient pumpkin spice cupcakes, (well, 3 counting the cream cheese frosting). 

This is all you need (plus the frosting):

 
 
I was a little skeptical since you don't add any of the butter, eggs, oil or whatever the cake box calls for, but these were AH-mazing.  Seriously, you need to make them.  Bake for about 15 minutes at 350 and voila!  It makes about 16 cupcakes.  I'm making another batch this weekend for a potluck.  They're that good.  Just be sure you are making them for someone else or to bring to an event because these suckers have been at our house for less than 2 days and they're almost gone.
 

 
 
 
Next up was pumpkin decorating.  I had a lot of anxiety about this.  I don't do a lot of "crafts."  My Halloween decorations the past 3 years have consisted of a plain, uncarved pumpkin and a light up wire black cat...so yea.  I decided to try something somewhat simple. 
 
All you need for this design is some white spray paint, gold oil-based paint for the stem, and stick on crystals to make the spider web.  My crystals weren't very sticky, so I used some clear craft glue.  It would be even cuter if you had a little spider to stick to the side.  You could also use black crystals to make the web pop more, but my craft store didn't have enough in stock.





For the second pumpkin, I used oil-based Sharpie paint pens to draw the bats after spray painting it white.  I'm not finished with this one yet, though.  I have to go buy some black paint to fill in the bats:




One thing I learned from all of this is that "crafting" must be for people who have disposable income.  These supplies added up quickly, and with the cost of the pumpkins ended up costing about $40 total.  That's sort of crazy considering these guys are going to rot and can't be used again next year.  If you already have a lot of these supplies on hand though it wouldn't be too bad.

Here's hoping we actually get some trick-or-treaters at our apartment this year because I have a bag of pumpkin shaped Reese's and some orange Kit Kats taunting me in our pantry.




3 comments:

  1. Yep, craft supplies aren't cheap. I read a post one time about a "free" dresser makeover. They pulled a dresser off the side of the street, spent $100 on supplies to strip, sand, paint and another 100 on restoration hardware handles. So the free furniture project actually cost $200. I suppose if you start collecting supplies eventually free could be free, or cheap could be cheap, but until it all those little things add up! I do love your pumpkins - maybe next year:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...I think I will be making those pumpkin cupcakes stat. I've seen the "recipes" like this and always been skeptical too; thanks for playing guinea pig!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?