Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hello- I'm a mom now! Luke's birth story

Greetings from the other side!  It's been 3 months and I'm finally coming up for air.  I had big dreams of documenting all the moments of Luke's infanthood on this blog, but when quiet moments to yourself are few and far between, sleeping/eating/showering trump blogging any day.

Luke entered this world on September 12th, bright and early at 5:59 am, weighing 6 lb 14 oz and measuring 19 inches long.

Without further ado, introducing Luke Bingham-

2 weeks old
Milam Photography

In true doctor's wife fashion, I went into labor one afternoon while my husband was performing surgery.  Being new to the whole labor thing, I didn't know I was actually in labor at first.  After all, it was a week early and I was convinced that I would go overdue with him.  I had just seen my ob/gyn the day before and was only 1 cm dilated!  I even called the on call ob/gyn who told me he didn't think I was in labor and "this could go on for days."  Well, "days" ended up being a couple hours before the pain was unbearable and I was having contractions 30 seconds apart.  

I called Jeff's cell phone knowing the scrub nurse would answer and relay whatever I had to say to him while he was still scrubbed in.  I probably called 3 or 4 times over the span of 3 hours.  The first time I called my message was something like, "I'm in a lot of pain, but I can wait till you get home."  An hour later, it was more like I need to go to the hospital NOW!  I could hear him cursing in the background because there was literally nothing he could do for me at the moment, since he was still finishing up a surgery.  

Starting to panic, I called my one friend here since we were still new in town and couldn't get in touch with her for over an hour.  Afraid I would be one of those people having their baby on the side of the road, I finally called Jeff's phone one last time and screamed at the nurse to call our friend's husband who also happens to be my husband's partner, a fellow orthopaedic surgeon.  The last thing I wanted was for him to see me in full crazy lady mode, as at this point every other word out of my mouth was "F*@!", but at this point I knew I just needed to get to the hospital and get an epidural FAST.

We made it to the hospital and hilarity ensued as our friend wheeled me into labor and delivery and everyone thought he was my husband.  Then the nurses, bless their hearts, made me sign about a million papers and answer a thousand pointless questions before admitting me and letting me get an epidural.  Questions like- 'Have you taken a birth class?'  Now tell me, why do you need to know that as I'm screaming in pain?  Maybe we can save this little Q&A sesh for later?  I was most definitely that lady in movies you hear screaming curse words down the hall.  

My husband finally arrived and I thought, hey, I've never once pulled the "Doctor" card, but now is the time to use it!  The nurses kept telling me I couldn't get an epidural until my ob/gyn came to check me and she was currently finishing up a c-section.  I turned to Jeff and said, "Call Anesthesia, NOW!"  Before I knew it, we had anesthesia in our room and I was getting a blessed epidural before I saw my ob/gyn.  Why ANYONE refuses epidurals is beyond me, but more power to ya!  I am just not cut out for a "natural" labor, that's for sure.  I had relief for a couple hours, but as my labor progressed overnight and into the early morning hours I began to feel very uncomfortable, shaky, and an unbelievable amount of pressure.  I'm jealous of all those moms who are able to sleep after getting an epidural, but that was not the case for me.  Although I had relief from the intense pain, I still felt terrible all night and didn't get a wink of sleep (although Jeff did- there is nothing more frustrating than watching your significant other sleeping peacefully in the chair next to you as you suffer through labor!).  I had to stay laying on my left side because in any other position, Luke's heart rate would drop.  Towards the end of my labor, they put me on an oxygen mask and I started to get really nervous.  Finally at 5am it was time, and after an exhausting hour of pushing, we finally got to meet our precious little man!


  1. wow! that's super stressful not having your labor support there right away.. but he made it! congratulations. Luke is beautiful!

  2. Congratulations!! Im 15 weeks with our first and I have no doubt Ill go into labor when my husbands in surgery too! Enjoy every minute with your son :)

  3. Congratulations! I drove myself to the hospital when I was in labor cuz DrH was on an ER shift. I'm glad you had some friends available to help you out!


What do you think?